Latest Activity

Christine Clifford posted a discussion
yesterday
Yuriko Nakano posted an event

Free event: SWORDS Showcase - Hypnotic Spoken Words from Romania at Barbican Library

March 14, 2024 from 6pm to 7pm
Mar 5
An event by GLE Website Comms Team was featured
Thumbnail

Differently Various Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5
GLE Website Comms Team posted an event
Thumbnail

Variously Different Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

Hello! Could someone please direct me to any info re the Golden Lane Jubilee celebrations as I would like to be involved? Heather 

Views: 303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think there is anything planned, I haven't heard anything and it is getting a bit late to organise now. I would have thought it would have been better to have a Jubilee event rather than the recent May Day event. It will be a long time until there is another Jubilee and a lot of residents probably wont be around to see the next one.

There aren’t any that I know of.

That's sad - I thought it was also going to be a celebration of 50 years since the estate was built. What a pity there are no plans to do anything. I was ready for cake-making, bunting and balloon and trestle table erecting and much jollity!
That was done in 2012

They had a picnic on Basterfield lawn last summer. They could have done something similar for the Jubilee and made it more of a fete and made use of Hatfield lawn and the pond area, and encouraged residents to put bunting up on their balconies. With only 2 1/2 weeks to go, it is too late now to organise. Such a missed opportunity.

They, missed opportunity? Who are these mysterious they?
Just people who live here who want to have something to bring people together. You could have planned something and invited others to join you. It's hard work, needs fund raising but it all done by your neighbours often the same people who volunteer. I started the organising for the 2012 jubilee, I started the organising for the picnic with jazz, Bev in Basterfield organised the Mayday event. There's a lot of volunteers involved in greening the estate.
Complaining about other people not doing what you think ought to have happened isn't helpful.

I have no idea who 'they' are. Events happen on the estate and we receive flyers through the door about them. I thought there was some kind of committee who organised these things so forgive me for not knowing otherwise. I am not an organiser and wouldn't even know where to start, but would be willing to help out.

There's no committee so now you know. Just people like us. Peace

I’ve lived here since 1973. We marked the Queens Silver Jubilee with a fantastic weekend of fete’s, sports day on Basterfield Lawn. Fancy Dress competition, and a Estate Street Party which lasted all day and night!! Everyone came together. Unfortunately the powers that be, wanted the community centre (club) shut down, which had a committee who back in the day organised the Silver Jubilee celebrations. They arranged with the Guildhall to give every child a celebratory Silver Jubilee Coin, which to this day I still have.
The Ralph Perrin Club also organised special events for our elderly community, Best Jam making, cake stalls, fancy dress bingo, and the penultimate party in the hall to end the celebrations. The hub of the community has all but gone, yes there are a events at some points of the year (Christmas carols) and a few others. But this was a platinum opportunity to have the best celebrations, which maybe we won’t see again.
I’m very very surprised this wasn’t organised!! Flyers could have been sent out to all residents asking if they want to participate and donate and volunteer to help organise! I’ve seen the comment regarding how they’ve organised events on the estate, and maybe others could have ‘got the ball rolling’ but it’s not really clear who to approach!! But judging by the lack of interest, as no one suggested (even the ones who have organised before) to celebrate this remarkable event, this was very sadly missed. No offence meant.

I was the main organiser of the 2012 jubilee Tracy. I'm now 73, it takes a huge amount of work. This weekend is Open Gardens Weekend a major opportunity for the Baggers to raise funds, especially with the past two years of lock down. I suspect that's where energies have gone this year. I have a full on cold so can't even help with that.
No offence taken

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service