Latest Activity

Christine Clifford posted a discussion
Tuesday
Yuriko Nakano posted an event

Free event: SWORDS Showcase - Hypnotic Spoken Words from Romania at Barbican Library

March 14, 2024 from 6pm to 7pm
Mar 5
An event by GLE Website Comms Team was featured
Thumbnail

Differently Various Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5
GLE Website Comms Team posted an event
Thumbnail

Variously Different Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

Its that time again when we need some suggestions on how to spend the so called 'Shed Money'.

This year we have in the region of £10,000 to be allocated.

Each suggestion must be in some way beneficial to ALL the residents of Golden Lane.

We've had two suggestion so far :-

1. A large notice board situated at a location to be determined that is for residents use only, with maybe separate sections for GLERA, Garden Group, Ralph Perring etc. and a space for personal messages.

2.Squirrel/Crow proof waste bins, which would stop waste being thrown about and therefore mean less clearing up.

If you have any other suggestions please post them on this site so that we can all comment on them and eventually come up with a consensus that we can take forward.

Bill Clifford

Chair of GLERA 

Views: 1040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bill.

My suggestion would be to help any residents that do have a pest problem (as discussed at the last GLERA meet), buy helping to pay for wire wool etc,?

I also echo the suggestion for a Residents Notice board.

Steve.

The so called 'shed money'!  This charge should never have been introduced in the first place.  Never in all the years I have lived here has there ever been a charge for the use of sheds, until Mr B Jacks decided to introduce it.  Since then, people have been 'bullied' into paying up front for sheds, many of which are situated in places some residents are not comfortable in using on a regular basis.  I had a shed in the basement of Hatfield House, for many years, given to me by one of the Estate officers at the time, as an extra shed,  due to circumstances, only because there were so many empty there.  However, since the so called charge was introduced, and before, it was clear that that area was used by people who were not there to store anything, but as a place for 'drug taking', for example!  They even had a key to get in!  I received a demand to vacate that shed, but could not do so because there was a lot of heavy items in there, and I was more concerned over my partner's ill health at the time.  But, on the orders of Mr Jacks, my items were thrown out, and the locks changed.  This was some months ago, and the shed remained empty. I wonder if they 'evicted' those using the sheds for drug taking as quickly!!  I don't think so. 

Am sorry, but feel you should be campaigning against such charges, instead of being mislead into thinking that the City are doing you a favour!!! 

They should be helping the residents with such issues anyway.  Why must it take for residents to pay for it themselves?  Don't we all pay enough service charges anyway?  This is just a 'ruse' to 'justify' shed charges! 

I thought the "shed money" was given to us/GLERA by the COL as a gift?

A gift???  Steve, that's what they want you to think.  From information I have received it appears that a vast amount of money is spent by the COL in chasing up residents for payment, by endless letters, also the cost of all those sheds whose locks have been changed by locksmiths, etc!  The COL like to think us residents are all stupid in thinking they are doing us a favour, and try to 'justify' these charges by claiming they are spending the 'profits' on us!!  In reality, the charges have been very unpopular by many residents.  In all the years I have lived here have never heard of actual 'gifts' being given by the COL to its residents.  In fact, it was strongly pointed out to me some time ago, that the guest flats, for example, were there to make money for the COL, as a 'business', and nothing else.  We live close to the 3rd floor guest flats, and ages ago, when we had our new bathroom fitted, we, unfortunately, due to the new floor being laid, had to be without a toilet for one night.  I asked if there were any guest flats available for my partner to be able to use the toilet, if needed, during the night, as he had suffered a stroke, and also a heart attack.  The Estate management insisted I paid the whole rate for the 'use' of a guest flat for one night, even though we would not be sleeping there, and one was free anyway. I even offered to bring my own toilet paper!  However, they insisted it was because they were 'running a business'!  I was eventually refunded my money after a big complaint.  So, please don't be fooled into thinking they are giving us a 'gift'! 

Steve Daszko said:

Love the idea of reinstating the original door numbers - a great way of showing that we as residents care about the thought and attention to detail that originally went into the estate and has sadly been eroded over the years.

Hi Steve.  Am not sure if any of the original door numbers are still there.  I know some doors have diiferent types of numbers.  I have had the same one for the last 20 years I have lived here.  I presume its the original, but don't know.  However, bearing in mind that nearly half the Estate's properties are privately owned, that would let those out!  You are right in that we, as residents, care about our Estate.  Unfortunately, as I have pointed out, the COL merely see the Estate as a 'business' overall.  I stand by saying that residents should never have been charged for shed usage in the first place.  We were told, in a letter by Mr Jacks, that the charge for sheds were being 'reintroduced'!  According to some residents I have spoken to who have lived here since the Estate was built, there never was a shed charge in the first place, so how can it be reintroduced?  Also, for example, a flat on my landing was sold by the COL, along with 2 sheds, some years ago!  So, they have given one resident 2 'free' sheds, but expect the rest of us to pay for any we have!!  Something not right there.

Steve Smith said:

Love the idea of reinstating the original door numbers - a great way of showing that we as residents care about the thought and attention to detail that originally went into the estate and has sadly been eroded over the years.

Door numbers seem a good idea as well as pest proof waste bins.

Can we have a list of last year's ideas, some of which were sensible. Incidentally, was anything decided upon and if so how much was spent.

Good idea to ask for suggestions early incidentally because it seemed to take for ever to get things moving.

Thanks for explaining that Maria.   How did it reach such a large sum???

Maria Elizabeth Prior said:

A gift???  Steve, that's what they want you to think.  From information I have received it appears that a vast amount of money is spent by the COL in chasing up residents for payment, by endless letters, also the cost of all those sheds whose locks have been changed by locksmiths, etc!  The COL like to think us residents are all stupid in thinking they are doing us a favour, and try to 'justify' these charges by claiming they are spending the 'profits' on us!!  In reality, the charges have been very unpopular by many residents.  In all the years I have lived here have never heard of actual 'gifts' being given by the COL to its residents.  In fact, it was strongly pointed out to me some time ago, that the guest flats, for example, were there to make money for the COL, as a 'business', and nothing else.  We live close to the 3rd floor guest flats, and ages ago, when we had our new bathroom fitted, we, unfortunately, due to the new floor being laid, had to be without a toilet for one night.  I asked if there were any guest flats available for my partner to be able to use the toilet, if needed, during the night, as he had suffered a stroke, and also a heart attack.  The Estate management insisted I paid the whole rate for the 'use' of a guest flat for one night, even though we would not be sleeping there, and one was free anyway. I even offered to bring my own toilet paper!  However, they insisted it was because they were 'running a business'!  I was eventually refunded my money after a big complaint.  So, please don't be fooled into thinking they are giving us a 'gift'! 

Steve Daszko said:

Your guess is as good as mine Steve.  Considering, on the 'grapevine' I heard that the whole thing was overall not successful,  considering the cost of bills, and reminders sent, plus the cost of locksmiths changing shed locks all over the place, one wonders!!  First of all, why would the COL claim all this money has simply come from 'shed rentals', and give it all to us out of the 'goodness of their hearts'??  I think I can guess why! 

Steve Daszko said:

Thanks for explaining that Maria.   How did it reach such a large sum???

Maria Elizabeth Prior said:

Steve Daszko said:

That's exactly how the COL want us to see it Stefi. 

Stefi said:

Grumbles aside, we have this money to do something with, let's think of something positive shall we?

Yes.  To stop charging people for sheds would be a start. 

Stefi said:

Do you have any positive suggestions Maria?

Let's keep this thread for discussing how to use the shed money. If anyone wants to discuss the decision by CoL to charge for the sheds then please set up a separate discussion.

Nick - last year's eligible suggestions are copied here:

Day trips for elderly

Trestle tables (purchased)

Beehives

Planters around GAH forecourt

Increase tree population

Improve planting around Basterfield lawn 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service