Latest Activity

Christine Clifford posted a discussion
Tuesday
Yuriko Nakano posted an event

Free event: SWORDS Showcase - Hypnotic Spoken Words from Romania at Barbican Library

March 14, 2024 from 6pm to 7pm
Mar 5
An event by GLE Website Comms Team was featured
Thumbnail

Differently Various Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5
GLE Website Comms Team posted an event
Thumbnail

Variously Different Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

Waste Watch has been awarded a grant by the City of London Corporation to help the residents of the Golden Lane Estate create the kind of environment they want to live in. We are therefore keen to get your ideas on what changes you would like to see to your environment, and how we can help you to realise them.  To do this, we intend to hold an Open Space event in the Community Centre to establish what you might like to do with this project.  We’ll also have a table at the Market Day so do please come and have a chat with us then.  

We hope that you will see this as an opportunity to make happen any environmental ambitions that you have been harbouring, either for yourselves or for your community. What we are offering in support is lots of experience, information and advice; time to help organise events and activities; connections with the relevant teams at the City of London to help speed things along; and plenty of enthusiasm! I've already seen there's a discussion on this forum about becoming a transition town and we'd love to support you in achieving that.   

If you have any ideas for changes that you would like to see happen, you can share them with us as a comment in this discussion thread, in person at the market day or the Open Space event, or directly via jonathan.hazell@wastewatch.org.uk or on 020 7549 0317.

For more information about Waste Watch and the work we do to help people waste less, here’s a short video.

Thank you!

Views: 806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jonny.

Thanks very much for your reply. I am aware that a proposal was put forward for the Hatfield House lawn to be turned into a herb garden, for example, but, correct me if I am wrong, but the proposal was not put forward by a resident of that area.  It is important that people surrounding this area have the ultimate say.  Also, a herb garden sounds great, but who would be responsible for the watering of it?  I ask this, as, when we had a severe lack of water ages ago, I was the only one who took action, and watered the plants needing it on the Hatfield House lawn.  I know that several people expressed the desire for a pond on this area, in the recent Open Spaces survey, but perhaps you will have access as to whom they were, and take it from there.  Of course, I am willing to assist in gathering support on this, and am very grateful for your interest here. 

The one mail issue that many people have expressed over this area is that residents have been made to feel 'uncomfortable' by non residents in the use of this lawn.  This is a private estate, and the lawn should be for the sole use of residents only, which is what the survey claims it is for!!  A member of management has put in the Estate Comment book that notices will be displayed in this area.  Unfortunately, so far we do not know who has said this, or when notices will be erected!!  This is unhelpful, and I hope that you will be able to assist here, at least.  As to the future of the lawn, us residents need to know that it is ours, and not a public 'park', which it is at present. 

Concerning your aims that the Estate have more greenery etc, I am happy to say that on my end of the landing there is plenty of seating, foliage, etc, for the use of residents, which I am proud to have supplied.  I love where I live, and will do what I can to help. 

Maria.  X

What are the consequences if any, of your merger with Keep Britain Tidy?
Hate to put a bit of a dampener on some of these ideas but, Golden Lane Estate is listed including all gardens and grassed areas so Listed Building Consent and possibly even Planning permission is needed for any changes even to the type of plant grown. The Listed Building Management Guidelines for the Estate recommends that all planted/grassed areas are returned to original state when possible.

Steve Stevenson.
I am most interested in Steve's above response.  If the Listed Building Management Guidelines recommend that all grassed areas be returned to their original state, where possible, then I'm sure all the residents, including myself, who support a pond returning to the Hatfield House lawn, for example, will be encouraged to hear this.  After all, it would also stop those non residents using this area as a 'public park', and leaving Estate staff with the extra burden of getting rid of all the litter they leave in the bins.  Us residents are the ones who have to pay for this in our Service Charges after all!!! 

Hi Paul,

the only consequences for this project resulting from the merger are that we benefit from KBT's experience of delivering and monitoring local environmental improvement projects.

On a separate matter, it would be good to catch up soon on your thoughts for how best to represent the project on GLE.org. You mentioned before the possibility of having a separate discussion section and i think that's a great idea. Having discussed this with the residents leading on the project, we would like the section to be called Golden Lane Exchange, as we hope the project will be successful in connecting residents.

Hope all's well and thanks as ever for your support,

Jonny

This has now been set up.

Hi Paul,

the only consequences for this project resulting from the merger are that we benefit from KBT's experience of delivering and monitoring local environmental improvement projects.

On a separate matter, it would be good to catch up soon on your thoughts for how best to represent the project on GLE.org. You mentioned before the possibility of having a separate discussion section and i think that's a great idea. Having discussed this with the residents leading on the project, we would like the section to be called Golden Lane Exchange, as we hope the project will be successful in connecting residents.

Hope all's well and thanks as ever for your support,

Jonny

I also heard it had been a paddling pool, but a pond isn't that much different in that both have water in them.  Many people have expressed the desire for some sort of 'water' feature to return, as the pond on the other side of the Estate seems very popular. 

As for leaks gettting into the Ralph Perring and youth clubs, both are being relocated due to the swimming pool renovations, so now would be a good time, while the builders are in, to sort out any problems.  One can dream I suppose!!!!!!

Hi Tracy!

One for all, and all for one!!!!!!!   X

Hi Jonny

Thanks very much for addressing the Residents' Association meeting on Tuesday.  Your support was very much appreciated. 

Maria. X

Hi again,

please see the event page for an update on plans for Saturday.

Hope to see lots of you there!

Jonny

Jonny Hazell said:

Community Cafe!

Hi everyone,

we now have a time and date for the first community cafe - Saturday 8th October from 11am-1pm in the Community Hall. More details to follow but we'll definitely have tea, coffee and cake available so put the date in your diary and come and share a cuppa with your fellow Golden Lane residents!

Huge thanks to everyone who came to the community cafe last Saturday, it was a very friendly affair with perhaps 30 people swinging by at one point or another. Rachel, Tim and Roberto had baked up a storm and their delicious cakes were going for a song. Even so, we raised £27 towards a coffee machine and the goal of establishing the community cafe as a feature of Golden Lane life. Watch this space for news of future community cafes.

People who came to Saturday's event had a chance to register their interest in being kept informed about upcoming Golden Exchange events and activities. These include draughtproofing and energy saving workshops, getting some plants to look after in the entrance to your building, and of course future community cafes. Anyone interested in any of these, send me a message with your e-mail address and i'll make sure to keep you updated with further details.

Thanks again and hope to see you at future community cafes and other Golden Exchange events.

Jonny 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service