Latest Activity

Christine Clifford posted a discussion
Tuesday
Yuriko Nakano posted an event

Free event: SWORDS Showcase - Hypnotic Spoken Words from Romania at Barbican Library

March 14, 2024 from 6pm to 7pm
Mar 5
An event by GLE Website Comms Team was featured
Thumbnail

Differently Various Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5
GLE Website Comms Team posted an event
Thumbnail

Variously Different Art Exhibition at different spaces

March 5, 2024 to April 7, 2024
Mar 5

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

Are Golden Lane residents alert to the probable re-development of the block bounded by Golden Lane, Brackley Street, Viscount Street and Fann Street?

The City of London Police plan to sell Bernard Morgan House,  the police section house, within five years, and the Welsh Church, which is struggling with a declining congregation has received (but declined) what is likely to have been an opening offer for their freehold.

These buildings are not listed but were built at the same time as Golden Lane and complement the estate in a very balanced way.  Any re-revelopment could be a disaster.

Views: 2009

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why would any redevelopment be a disaster? Neither building is particularly distinguished. The need for new housing is acute. The two sites could well be home for are large number of people in housing need.

I would have no problem with new and affordable housing.

This site is now in  the City of London.  (Most of the block was in Islington when the buildings were built). 

I doubt if the developers sniffing around the Welsh Church are planning affordable housing.   How about a 14 storey office block? This would also deliver the best price for the City of London Police site.

I think Bernard Manning House is quite elegant, but different strokes for different folks I s'pose... it could surely be turned into housing with not much effort. And the green roof of the church looks like a lovely Welsh hill when I look out of my side window in the morning, before I rub the scales out of my eyes.

They paved Paradise, and put up a parking lot, apparently.

May I respectfully suggest that you post your views in your real name, otherwise it is meaningless.  Many thanks.  After all you can see who I am, but I don't know who you really are!

It certainly is Christine.  Very amusing.  I just like to know who the person really is!

I am the ghost of Le Corbusier. I haunt the hallways of Great Arthur House, trying to get my hat back. Can't you allow me my little bit of mystique? Besides, how do I know you are the real Maria Elizabeth Prior? I can see your name, but you could be anybody.

At some point, Christine's picture turned into three giant ducks, now I have no idea who I'm talking to. But I still like talking to her.

I can assure you I am who I say I am.   And, so is Christine.  Of course if you wish to write under a fake profile, then that is your choice.  It just puts the rest of us at a disadvantage.  If I have anything to say then I feel, which is my point of view, that its important to be honest.  However, if you want to 'haunt' corridors, then 'happy haunting'!!

Chamberpot Bowell & Pond said:

I am the ghost of Le Corbusier. I haunt the hallways of Great Arthur House, trying to get my hat back. Can't you allow me my little bit of mystique? Besides, how do I know you are the real Maria Elizabeth Prior? I can see your name, but you could be anybody.

At some point, Christine's picture turned into three giant ducks, now I have no idea who I'm talking to. But I still like talking to her.

Well, Mr Crow, you'll feel right at home on GLE then!  Leaky roofs,  large glass windows too cold and draughty in winter, too hot in summer, a bit like Villa Savoye.

;-)

Chamberpot Bowell & Pond said:

And the weather is Brutalist!

I was just a little curious and wanted to enquire is Chamberpot Bowell & Pond any relative to Camila Parker Bowels?

Ha! Ha! Nathan.  Had to laugh!

nathan said:

I was just a little curious and wanted to enquire is Chamberpot Bowell & Pond any relative to Camila Parker Bowels?

Nathan, no, but I am third cousin to Colon Powell, once-upon-a-time US Secretary of State.

And yes, Stefi, you're absolutely right, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I love the bulbous room at the side (like a tiny Soviet cinema) and the spindly staircases, overhanging a strange concrete garden that reminds me of Dungeness.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service